As today is St George’s Day, what better way to celebrate all that is British with a list of all things England holds dear, and without which would quite frankly not be the same?!
1) Proper cups of tea. By proper, I mean not a glass teacup that’s full of boiling water with a teabag perched forlornly on the saucer next to it. That you’re supposed to introduce to the hot water yourself. NOT. THE. SAME. You need a big mug. That you can hold with two hands, and that has had the teabag sat in there already for a good five minutes at least.
2) Fish and chips. With a side order of mushy peas or curry sauce.
3) The beautiful beaches and coastline.
4) British comedy. Only Fools and Horses, Fawlty Towers, Red Dwarf.
5) Queueing. A very British thing.
6) The erratic weather. One day it can be blazing sunshine, the next it can be freezing fog and battering hailstones. Literally.
7) Strawberries and cream. Something one must surely eat when partaking in a bit of Wimbledon tennis watching in the summer. Don’t forget your iced cold glass of Pimms.
8) The Royal Family. Love them or loathe them, they’re a cornerstone of British life and sets us apart from other countries without a monarchy.
9) Fruit cake should be eaten with a wedge of cheese. Yes. That’s right.
10) Sunday dinner. Roast beef, Yorkshire pudding, roast potatoes, and all your vegetables. Don’t forget the stuffing.
11) Our stand up comedians.
12) Red telephone boxes.
13) Iconic music, from the Beatles to Queen.
15) Sense of humour. No-one can do wit and sarcasm in the same manner as a Brit. Dry and sarcastic is the way to go.
16) Toad in the hole.
18) Proper chocolate. Cadburys, Rowntree’s (sorry, I should say Nestle’s) as well. Not to mention Terry’s of course.
19) Its rich history and old buildings.
Not to mention the old, cobbled streets in some towns that still stand.
20) Afternoon teas. China cups filled with tea, and cucumber sandwiches sliced into triangles with the crusts cut off. With scones and plenty of jam and clotted cream.
Feel free to add via the comments box if you think I’ve missed anything quintessentially British off the list!